Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Weekend


Brooklyn amazed me on Memorial Day and I have to boast about how proud I am of her quickly. So all weekend we had been explaining to her the purpose of Memorial Day. She grasped the concept very well but was dissapointed to find out that we didn't have any gravesites to visit. I tried to explain to her that we could honor people that hadn't died but that were doing great things with their lives. She said she wanted to honor her Papa Roy for being in Iraq. She did what any little girl would do and got out the crayons to color him a picture. (you will be getting that soon dad) But what really touched my heart is when she asked if we could visit the cemetery and bring flowers for those that didn't have any. We headed to walmart (of course) and she picked out her own flowers. We headed to our local cemetery in the pouring rain and she was wide eyed at the amount of flowers that were there. We got our flowers and went forth with our mission. We found a gravesite of an older couple that had been burried together. Brooklyn thought it was sad that no grandkids had brought them flowers so we left them some. The next one we found was of a one year old little girl. I explained to her how this is possible that a one year old could die. She was so sad and started to cry (in the rain). We left this little girl some flowers. We proceeded to walk the cemetery and have a conversation about how death can be good and bad at the same time. She is so wise beyond her age and she seemed to grasp the idea that Heavenly Father has set forth a plan for us. As we were leaving she asked if we could do this every year. I was so touched that she came up with this idea all on her own. She is such a compassionate and sensitive little girl. We love you Brooklyn.

6 comments:

Jme said...

Hey! This is Jme! I thought I would stop by and check your blog out!! So cute! I can't believe she got all of that about memorial day! It gave me goose bumps! Check my blog out if you get a chance....Taylors381.blogspot!

Grandpa and Grandma Grant said...

Hi,
I saw your blog. It was so awesome with the things
you did to celebrate Memorial Day, so creative.
We have been having a great time with Jay, Jill, and Liberty.
Love you all,
Grandma and Grandpa Grant

Kristin @ Navy Bean Lane said...

She is such a sweetie! I can't wait until my boys get a little older and maybe, just maybe they will become "sweet" :) We need to get together and play!

The Murdocks said...

What a sweetheart! Aubrey has had so much fun playing with Brooklyn lately. She's excited for tonight!

Carrie and Jon said...

What a sweet girl you have. That is awesome that you took the time to help her with her great idea of placing flowers on flowerless graves. Way cute blog!!!

The Grant Family said...

Hey Neil, I look your new spectacles. They make you look smart. And believe me...